Sunday, April 13, 2014

Mr. Card, you have a new fan.

Recently, I've been reading Orson Scott Card's first Ender's Game book, and it's one of the best books I've ever read. Not because it's an action-packed adventure book or a fun paperback that will keep you happy for a few hours, but because it's so thought provoking. And I don't mean to sound cheesy when I say that. It's one of those books that allows you to pull your head out of your ass for a bit and look around to see what the world really looks like for a change.

And I'm only a third of the way through the first book, for the love of god. Funniest thing, though, it's written from the point of view of children. Intelligent children who are so dammed clever I'm surprised that in the book there's not more of a fuss made about them (probably has something to do with a basically totalitarian global government), but children non the less. And I suppose that the frankness of children mixed with the maturity of adults brought on by their astute mentalities is what makes this novel's philosophy so compelling.

I haven't read the whole book yet, so I don't know the end moral, but whatever it is, I look forward to the entirety of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment